Corn usually gets overlooked as a “fancy” vegetable, and to be honest, most people overcook it as an uninspiring side. However, throw in the right spices and garnishes, and you’ve got a masterpiece!
Corn is at it’s BEST in September. In all seriousness, eating produce when it’s naturally in season means putting a more organic, less controlled product into your body. Nutrient contents are higher, and as a result, the flavour is more intense. Corn is surprisingly loaded with phytochemicals that help protect against a number of chronic illnesses, as well as vitamin B and thiamin. Plus, that sweet corn taste is so good!
This yummy recipe will only take you 15 minutes, but be prepared to never look at corn the same way again.
Fancy Corn (A 15 Minute Recipe)
– corn (1 cob per person/ serving)
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1tbsp salt
– 1/4 cup butter
– 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
– 1 tsp pepper
– choice of garnish (flowers, sprouts, arugula, etc)
- Bring a big pot of water with a generous pinch of salt to a boil.
- Boil your peeled corn for 5 minutes then remove from heat onto a clean surface to lightly cool.
- Mix the paprika, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and butter together and rub on the cob.
- Let the butter and spices sit on the corn until the butter is fully melted.
- Here’s where you can get more creative! Serve your fancy corn on a cutting board or interesting plate topped with your choice of garnish (because why NOT make everything in life pretty?)
And there you have it! Feel free to play round with herbs and spices (and even cheeses) to keep your corn recipes fresh, pretty, and way more fun than your mom’s old boiled corn. Pair this side with any kind of barbecue for a match made in heaven, or cut niblets off the cob to make your salad, soup, or pasta more flavourful AND colourful too! xx